Dr. Alessandro Gallo
- Sc. in Energy Engineering at University of Bologna, Italy, 2006
- Sc. in Energy Engineering at La Sapienza, University of Rome, Italy, 2011
- PhD in Applied science to the environment, University of Almeria, Spain, 2019
His research interests lie in the development of novel solar receivers for concentrated solar energy plants and the integration of these technologies with thermal industrial processes and energy storage. Currently, his main activities are the modeling and testing solar receivers and the development of a novel Fresnel beam down for industrial processes.
- Concentrated solar energy
- Energy storage
- Machine learning
Previous research Experience and research stays
- Imdea Energy, Mostoles, Spain, from Jan 2012 to Feb 2014
- University of Antofagasta, Chile, from Apr 2014 to Jan 2019
Study /experimental campaign stays
- National Autonomous University of Mexico, 2014
- National Autonomous University of Mexico, 2016
- Plataforma Solar de Almería, 2017
- Thermal engineering at Carlos III University of Madrid, Spain
- Environmental technology at Carlos III University of Madrid, Spain
- Concentrated solar energy at FUPSE of Solar Energy Research Center, Chile
- Thermal solar energy: low and high temperature at University of Antofagasta, Chile
Selected Journal Publications
- A lab-scale rotary kiln for thermal treatment of particulate materials under high concentrated solar radiation: Experimental assessment and transient numerical modeling
Solar Energy, 2019.
Alessandro Gallo; Elisa Alonso; Carlos Pérez-Rábago; Edward Fuentealba; María Isabel Roldán.
- High flux solar simulators for concentrated solar thermal research: A review
Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 2017
Alessandro Gallo; Aitor Marzo; Edward Fuentealba; Elisa Alonso
- Use of rotary kilns for solar thermal applications: Review of developed studies and analysis of their potential
Solar Energy, 2017
Elisa Alonso; Alessandro Gallo; María Isabel Roldán; Carlos Pérez-Rábago; Edward Fuentealba.
- Experimental aspects of CuO reduction in solar-driven reactors: Comparative performance of a rotary kiln and a packed-bed
Renewable Energy, 2017.
Elisa Alonso; Carlos Pérez-Rábago; Javier Licurgo; Alessandro Gallo; Edward Fuentealba; Claudio Alejandro Estrada.
- A simple method to achieve a uniform flux distribution in a multi-faceted point focus concentrator
Renewable Energy 2016
Ricardo Pérez-Enciso; Alessandro Gallo; David Riveros-Rosas; Edward Fuentealba; Carlos Pérez-Rábago.
Selected Conference Proceedings
- Thermal Behavior and Heat-Flux Distribution in a Solar Rotary Kiln
AIP Conference Proceedings, 2018.
Alessandro Gallo; Héctor González-Camarillo; María Isabel Roldán; Elisa Alonso; Carlos Pérez-Rábago.
- Considerations for using a rotary kiln for high temperature industrial processes with and without thermal storage
ISES Proceedings of 11th ISES EuroSun Conference. 2016
A Gallo, MI Roldán, E Alonso, E Fuentealba – 11 ISES EuroSun Conference. Palma de Mallorca
- A High-Efficiency Solar Thermal Power Plant using a Dense Particle Suspension as the Heat Transfer Fluid Energy Procedia.
Energy Procedia. 2015
James Spelling; Alessandro Gallo; Manuel Romero; José González-Aguilar.
- Preliminary design and performance analysis of a multi-megawatt scale dense particle suspension receiver
Energy Procedia. 2015
Alessandro Gallo; James Spelling; Manuel Romero; José González-Aguilar.
- Analysis of net Zero-Energy Building in Spain. Integration of PV, solar domestic hot water and air-conditioning systems.
Energy Procedia, 2014.
Alessandro Gallo; Belén Tellez-Molina; Milan Prodanovic; José González-Aguilar; Manuel Romero.